This position is initially only for the duration of our prototype development phase, which will last no more than 6 months (remote); with the possibility of an extension for an additional 18-24 months when the full production commences (on location).
The Technical Artist is the bridge between the Environment Art & the Programming teams. The main areas of responsibility include setting up and maintaining the art production workflow. The TA is also expected to prepare presentations with a teaching element to share his/her knowledge via training and mentoring sessions for the Environment Art and other teams. They are responsible for the monitoring and optimization of the environment assets’ data base, including texture, mesh and GPU budgets in the game worlds. An important part of the job involves keeping up-to-date with the changes in the game technologies, as well as implementing new techniques and tools, in order to improve the artistic productivity.
TYPE OF POSITION
Full-time during the prototype phase (max. 6 months; freelance), with the option of extension (full time employment)
- Acting as a bridge between the Art & the Programming teams;
- Ensuring that art assets can be easily integrated into a game without sacrificing the artistic vision or exceeding the platform’s technical limits;
- Supporting and helping the Art Team with all of the technical aspects for creating environment assets;
- Isolating and debugging environment technical issues in certain game world/s;
- Profiling and optimizing mesh and texture budgets together with the FPS;
- Monitoring and keeping the asset database clean and organized;
- Researching new techniques and tools, testing and implementing them into the production pipeline;
- Supporting and working with procedural technologies;
- Be flexible and able to adapt to different technical/engine pipelines.
- Experience in Autodesk 3D Studio Max (modeling and texturing tools);
- Experience working with a game engine (Unreal)
- Experience in game optimization
- Understanding of LODs and instancing
- Good knowledge of modeling, texture mapping and materials;
- Strong time-management skills and ability to meet deadlines in a fast-paced environment;
- Excellent organizational skills;
- Ability to think creatively in resolving technical challenges and limitations;
- Be able to anticipate the needs of the artists in order to streamline their productivity;
- Good English (written and spoken);
- Solid communication skills and a strong team-player;
- Able to work with minimum supervision;
- Previous experience in game development or film industry
- Passion for games and strong game culture;
- Experience with procedural technologies (SideFX Houdini, other).